Tuesday, December 20, 2011

As we go marching on

I hold my breath
 as I stand here and wait-
For the announcer to call us
in through the gate
We stand at attention,
our heads held up high
barely noticing the others
as they go on by.
It feels like forever
that we have been standing so still
and as I grow anxious
I begin to lose will.
I think in my mind
why am I doing this? I ask-
memorizing three songs
is such a hard task.
What if I forget all the music
we've learned,
and blow off the prize
that we have so earned?
After all of those hard practices
from August to November,
the long hours in the grueling sun
that I can remember.
From day until night,
with tears, sweat and pain,
what is from this experience
that I will have gained?
Then I turn my mind to
the people around me,
some of the best friends I know
who are always beside me.
So many experiences
have we all had together
from Annapolis, to London
that we'll know forever.
As I remember these things,
I hear loud cheers,
then the announcer states
"The jf marching cavaliers!"
And as a whole we start to go,
into the stadium,
to start our show.
And we go through the entrance,
we are blinded by light,
the stadium that illuminates
the dark starry night.
We file into place
at the ready to begin
and I tilt my head down
and on my face, a small grin.
And then I realize
that this is the reason
why I have been in
the band all these seasons.
The feeling you get,
doing something special,
it doesn't even matter
if you win any metals.
The important part is
the ride on the way
the new friends you make,
best friends they will stay.
Now listening to the crowd
as loud as a storm
I put my mallets up
and begin to preform.

No comments:

Post a Comment